Sunday, December 26, 2010

It Happened One Christmas...

Chocolate fudge, peanutbutter fudge, peppermint bark, 2 pumpkin pies, chocolate silk pie, peach cobbler, lemon pie, chocolate and blueberry mini-cupcakes, mint, peppermint, and lemon divinity, chips and dips, finger munchies by the zillion... sausage and cheese bites, german pinwheels, empanadas, homemade salsa, homemade shrimp dip, homemade spinach dip, homemade buchetta marinara, and a 4 cheese, salami, and cracker tray...

And then there was dinner itself... an 18 pound turkey, spiral ham, homemade cheesy mashed potatoes, 2 kinds of stuffing cause daughter is a vegitarian and won't eat the apple harvest stuffing from the turkey, gravy, sweet corn, dinner rolls, and, of course, several cans of olives and cranberry sauce (the sliced kind, not the jellied)...

2 bottles of wine, 4 bottles of sparkling cider, 8 bottles of soda, and one jug of orange juice...

15 people for dinner...

Everything is on the table except for the ham, which is heating in the oven, and the tray of dinner rolls, which have been lightly brushed with butter and sit on acookie sheet ready to go in the oven to warm... it's a waiting game... 15 minutes and counting until dinner is ready...

Sudden inspiration strikes... wash some of the dinner dishes while waiting for the oven buzzer to go off... I turn on the water and started washing...and the sink starts to fill. I turn the garbage disposal on...grrrrr....and the other sink fills with water... I try again... both sinks fill with water.

"Honey! The sink is plugged!"

But wait, it's not just the kitchen sink. Somehow, in this 1963 split level house, the plumming has backed up so that none of the sinks, tubs, showers, or toilets (except for the one downstairs in the laundry room) work. There is no water, washing, or flushing.

So, now it's the next day...we improvised... my fancy Christmas dinner was eaten on paper plates with plastic forks instead of my beautiful fine china that only comes out for the holidays...the stack of dirty dishes from cooking sit on my kitchen counter unwashed and drying crusting to the dishes. It will take an industrialized sized sandblaster to get the food off these dishes by the time I get to them. My garbage can is overflowing. And I still have no way to clean anything.

However, the food was fantastic (even if I'm bragging)... the turkey meat fell off the bones before I could pull it off the turkey, the brown sugar ham was glazed to perfection, and my 5 month old nephew screamed bloody murder when his mother stopped feeding him cheesy mashed potatoes long enough for her to take a bite of her own food. My husband got to introduce the new nephew to fudge despite death threats from his parents, and I have enough left over so that I don't have to cook for days.

All in all, I think Christmas dinner was a success!

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope yours was as wonderful as mine, even with the quirks...

Stormy

No comments: