Monday, September 15, 2014

AUTHOR SHOWCASE: Harris Channing

Today I would like to welcome Harris Channing, author and cover artist extraordinaire...

One lucky commenter will receive a free eBook download of "Speed Trap".

Let’s start getting your shine on. Tell us who you are beyond an author.  Well, I'm a wife and a mother and a book cover designer.  I enjoy my pets and going for walks.  I'm a huge history buff and I love a good ghost story.  Do you believe in ghosts?

Tell us your preferred writing genre and the genre you prefer to read.  I am HORRIBLE when it comes to choosing a favorite genre to write.  I have dabbled in contemporary romance, historical romance, paranormal romance, Regency romance and erotic romance--both contemporary AND Regency erotic romance.  See?  I can't choose!  As for writing, right now I'm working on book two in my series, "The White Springs Collection."  It's called THE GROUPIE and I hope to have it done very soon.

Going back to the beginning, show us the day you received your publication offer or the first time you saw your bound book. Oh that was an amazing day.  I anxiously opened my email from the publisher. I had half expected a rejection, because, well, I had a collection of those nasty letters. But it was an acceptance. My breath caught in my throat and I started to shake.  YES!  They said YES!!!

Ready to shine? Tell us the name of your book(S).
1. Speed Trap (Book 1 in the White Springs Collection)
2. An Unwilling Baroness (Book 1 in the Jilted Series)
3. A Bride for the Baron (Book 2 in the Jilted Series)
4. Curses and Kisses
5. The Demon is in the Details
6. In Sarah's Shadow
7. His for the Taking
8. Yesterday's Indiscretion
9. Goldie and the Three Behrs

Tell us where we can find you on the internet. I am all over the internet....
Blog:  harrischanningauthor.blogspot.com
Twitter:  twitter.com/harrischanning
 
Do you really write everyday? Nope. I wish I could. But I have my covers to design and I do love my job.  Time management would benefit me beautifully!
 
What would you say is a true hero? Strong enough to put up with me, sweet enough to understand me, and smart enough to appreciate me!
 
How much does reader reaction mean to you as an author? I don't think readers realize the impact they have on an author with their reviews.  Good reviews have you soaring, bad ones have the power to beat you down!
 
When did you know you wanted to be a writer? In the sixth grade. I wrote a story for a competition and I actually won!  I was invited to attend a young author's conference.  It was amazing!
 
Do you have any unfinished projects sitting around? Oh Lord yes!  I have more unfinished projects than finished ones
 
What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to become an author? My inborn insecurities.
 
What do your family and friends think about you writing erotic romance?  I ask because some people us a PEN name and don’t tell their friends or family they write erotic romance? Very few people know about my writing. I don't want them reading it. Not just because some of it is erotic, but because much of it is my inner most thoughts, etc.  Isn't if funny that I don't mind showing that to strangers but I don't want my friends to see?
 
If you were a Superheroine/Hero, would you wear tights and a cape? Heck no! Black leather, shades and a sword
 
You have to ask a fictional character out on a date. Who would you ask and what would you do together? I'd totally ask out Zane Weather from THE DEMON IS IN THE DETAILS.  He's over two thousand years old.  I bet he has some stories to tell...and did I mention he's super hot?????
 
Do you take suggestions on books or ideas from your fans? Just this evening a wonderful lady wrote to me and told me much she enjoyed IN SARAH'S SHADOW.  She asked me to write another American Historical Romance...when I'm done with my current WIP, I think I'll do that!
 
What project are you working on now? I'm working on THE GROUPIE right now.  It's about a woman who wins ticket to see her country music idol.  They meet, have sex but that's only the beginning.  Just let me say, she has a lot to learn about Thad Curtis!
 
What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back story? Emotion? I worry that my descriptions are lacking. After I write the first draft I go back and fill in to clarify the picture in my head for my readers.
 
Do you have the support of family and friends? My family is terrific and are very supportive. I'm very lucky in that regard.
 
Do you prefer stand-alone books or series? I prefer stand-alones but I think readers prefer series. 
 
If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why? I would love to go back in time and tell William Wallace who he could and couldn't trust!  I'm a big fan of Scottish history and I find the medieval period fascinating.  Of course, I'd want to bring, soap and deodorant with me!

 
SPEED TRAP
White Springs Collection 1
Abuse drove Libby away from Arkansas and right into White Springs, Tennessee and the arms of Officer Keith Davidson. But can the instant attraction they feel for one another turn to something more? And if it does, will her past come calling and ruin everything?
EXCERPT:
Libby looked up at him. Dressed in a white tank, jeans, and flip-flops, she noted that even out of uniform, he cut a fine figure. Her heart fluttered and when the idea of him kissing her entered her mind, she didn’t stop it. She wondered how he would taste and if he were gentle and giving or forceful and demanding.

"Just helping where you’re able?" she asked, her voice cracking.

"I guess you could say that."

She straightened and moved toward him, the heat from the grill nothing in comparison to the heat in her body. "You take in stray woman often?"

He grinned, no humor in those silver eyes. With a raised brow, he asked, "You a stray or you something special?"

Rising on her toes, she leaned in her lips less than an inch from his and yet he didn’t move to kiss. He just stood there like a statue.

"Why don’t you tell me, if I’m something special." She set her hand atop his chest, his heart pounding against her fingertips in a ferocious beat.

"Woman, don’t tempt me."

"You’d be helping me out," she replied, her mind reeling. What was she doing? He was a stranger. Handsome, seemingly kind and oh so sexy, but a stranger! And yet when he stared into her eyes, the intensity of his gaze had her legs growing weak. She wanted him like she’d never wanted a man before.

The sad fact was Dwayne Parsons was her one and only lover. She’d had men interested, and even dated, but that had been as far as it went. The realization burned through her and she watched him, waiting. Needing him to erase Dwayne from her body.

He took a step back and turned his face back toward the grill. "Dinner will be ready soon. In the meantime, will you get me a beer from the fridge?"

Humiliated, she marched inside, the cool air from refrigerator doing, little to cool the hot humiliation that burned her cheeks. Grabbing a beer, she brought him the bottle, his finger brushing against her as he took it from her. Watching her, he took a long swig, his demeanor changed. Keith had gone and Officer Davidson returned.

"Sweetheart, what was that all about?"

"I don’t know, was I reading you wrong?"

He ran his fingers through his chestnut hair, not answering.

"You don’t find me attractive?" she asked in a rush, shame at needing to know the answer burning in her cheeks.

"I didn’t say that. I’ll take you and it’ll be good. Is that what you want?"

"What if I say yes?"

He slammed the lid of the grill and walked to where she stood, backing her up against the house. "Is that what you’re saying?" he asked, his chest rising and falling in rapid, excited breaths. "I want you to know, I did not bring you here for that."

His admission made her want him all the more. "Yes. Now what do you say?"

"I say, let’s don’t waste any more time."


BUY LINKS:


Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/speed-trap-harris-channing/1008907045?ean=2940045550390


 

No comments: